Thursday, April 21, 2011

JUHU A4 MLE 2 « Humanities 1: Introduction to the Humanities

I went to the Starbucks near the College of Alameda.While waiting in line for my order, the barista conversed with me. I usually don’t really converse with the barista since there is always a lot of people in Starbucks. However, that day, there wasn’t a lot of people. So, while deciding my order, the barista suggested me drinks that were of interest to me. I really love caramel and whip cream so she suggested the Caramel Frappucino. Normally, I would order the Caramel Macchiato because I love caramel and macchiatos aren’t that sweet.

I eventually ordered the Caramel Frappucino. However, it was really sweet and I can’t really handle sweet things. But, it was still tasty. I loved how the whip cream and the coffee blended so wonderfully together. The caramel also melted magnificently in my mouth. I then asked the barista if there was a version of this that has less sugar. The barista then told me that I could get a Caramel Light Frappucino. Since, I enjoyed the Caramel Frappucino so much, next time, I would get the Caramel Light Frappucino.

Going to Starbucks help me work on my homework and other school related work. I feel that I could actually concentrate in my corner of Starbucks. At home, I always get distracted and I would procrastinate. My corner isn’t really special. I sat on a sofa seat; it was soft and I could relax and do my work. While in my corner, I observed various types of people. There are students studying, elders reading newspapers and people ordering. For me, I am in the students studying section or type. I go there to do my work and study sometimes. There are also elders that would go there to relax and read the papers and converse with other elders. There are also people ordering. Most of them are those business type people. They are dressed nicely, probably on a coffee run for their company.

I sat next to a student who was on his laptop. This student worked very diligently and focused on his work. He is similar to me, we were both doing our homework probably because we couldn’t do work at home. I greeted him and he greeted me back. Then we went back to work. It seems that we both didn’t really want to converse with each other since we are busy with our own work. However, I think that the situation would be different if it was in the summer because we’re on break. This is because, we could actually pause and converse about random things. I stayed in Starbucks for about 2 hours. Time past by really fast and I didn’t even notice that I stayed for such a long time. After an hour of observing people, I focused on work. I was first multi-tasking because I wanted to do my homework and look at people. But after a while, the scene was repeating itself and everything was so similar. Therefore, I focused my attention on only work.

Starbucks is really for anyone and everyone. This is the good thing about Starbucks or any coffee shop. They let anyone and everyone stay for a long time and they won’t kick anyone out. I know that for other shops, they would kick you out if you stay too long. For instance, there are restaurants that will ask you to leave if you stay for a while because you aren’t continuously eating their food. Basically, you cannot stay and read your book or do your homework in most restaurants. But for coffee shops, you can stay and read the whole book if you wanted or do all your homework.

Having observing people in Starbucks made me realize that the people who come to Starbucks are the same types every time. The types are students, elders and adults in need of caffeine to focus on their jobs. Every single one of them are either in need of caffeine or need a place to stay and relax.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More